Thursday, October 21, 2010

This is Halloween: Day 2

Hello Again! For today's spooky post, I decided to share a poem that I wrote a while ago. The poem is based on a rather odd and disturbing dream I had one night. In my dream, I was lying in bed and there was a scratching sound coming from the floor. As I investigated the noise, I discovered that there was an odd little man living in the space underneath the floorboards. The man in the floor was short (around 3 to 4 feet) and he was bald except for a few wisps of bright yellow hair dispersed across his head at odd intervals. He was very thin as if he had been living in the floor for a very long time and thus suffered from malnourishment.

Other than his appearance, he didn't disturb me in any other way while I was dreaming. Even the fact that he lived in the floor didn't seem to upset me and I went about my day (in my dream) as if this were normal. The man in the floor would scuttle along wherever I went in the house, but that was all. He wasn't overtly intimidating in any way.

When I woke up from the dream, I began to get progressively more and more creeped out about the man. The more I thought about him, the more uncomfortable I felt. I decided to write a short poem about him for no other reason than to share my discomfort of the dream with anyone willing to read it.

So, I now give you...

The Floor Man
By C. Colt Crane

"Last night my mind wandered through dreams while I slept.
Through my dreams as I slept, the Man in the floor crept.
The Man in the floor, he scratched and he scuttled,
Yet through the noise of my dreams, my mind was not troubled.
So with my mind far away and my cares obsolete,
I traveled my dreams until a child I did meet.
The child, so young, broke the silence and screamed:
Beware of the Floor Man, the Stealer of Dreams!"

So there it is, nothing too fancy but I hope you enjoyed it for what it is. The Floor Man intrigues me and I find that he is always lurking in the shadowy recesses of my thoughts, waiting to frighten me with his scratching and scuttling!

4 comments:

  1. That is a pretty weird dream. I remember when you told me about it the first time it creeped me out a lot. But is his face in the floor and it moves around or is it like he's sinking into the floor... as if his upper body is coming out of the floor and he moves around like he's in water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's both, actually. When he is still, only his face is visible but when he moves it's as you imagined it...like he's moving through water. Care to draw a picture and I'll attach it to this post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I draw a picture sometime soon for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the picture from Silent Hill 4! It looks like the floor man!

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones